Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Introducing...

     My name is Abby Smith and I was born in Austin, Texas.  My first memory there was running barefoot through a field of Blue Bonnet's.  But, because my parents were more of the surfer types, and less of the Little House on the Prairie fans, they had the audacity to movie my older sister and I to Palms Springs, where the closest waves around were at a water park (nice work Dad).  A few years later my Mom's parents passed away and left their house in Vista to us, situated more pleasantly west, of course, with its orange groves and macadamia nut trees, while still catching the coastal breezes.
    One of the nearest schools to us was Tri-City Christian School.  Now my parents are not religious by any stretch, no tare, of the imagination, but they somehow thought it would be a good idea to send my sister and I there.  As far as technology went at this particular school, well let's just say the word "Dos"comes to mind, and no, not like the word in Spanish.  I also became quite adept and typing on, gasp let's just say it, a typewriter.  So my educational transition into Mira Costa Community College, was a little clumsy technologically and socially, obviously.  It wasn't until college that I became more acquainted with computers.  A few years later I decided to study Literature and Writing, and transferred to UCSD where I earned my BA.  This is my first semester at Cal State San Marcos, and so far I am really excited to work on the Mac Computers here.  I feel as if I am a little behind in terms computer finesse, but I am ready and open to learn.
     The aspect of maintaining a commitment to a student centered learning in the CSUSM Mission Statement, is something that I think is really important.  Technology in the classroom is something that I think will be more relatable to students of this generation.  This is already their language, and I feel that as a prospective teacher, I need to be aware of and proficient in the different teaching methodologies made available.  Just as is it is our goal as teachers to turn students into life-long learners, it is also my responsibility to continue embrace technology and adapt to all its changes.

9 comments:

  1. I bet you are glad you left Texas huh? My sister lived in Rockwall, just outside of Dallas, and the few times I visited her it was unbearable heat. We couldn't even take my two little nieces on a walk outside because of the heat. It really doesn't get any better than Cali =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,

    I'm glad youre excited to be working on a Mac because it gives me terrible anxiety! Ive been a PC-er my whole life and I'm really not even 100% on that yet! Good luck in class, see you Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,

    I'm glad you enjoy California and all it has to offer! Let's become English teachers together...and start talking in groups more efficiently. ;) (lol)

    Love your new friend in all your classes,
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby,
    Macs are amazing! Once you get use to not having to go to start for everything it's a breeze. You are going to love them!

    I am happy to hear you are ready to embrace technology, because I am not. It is overwhelming to say the least. But like you said it is this generations language. Hopefully 422 with make technology a little less confusing and more of a fun tool to use in the classroom.

    Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abby,

    I love Macs, I think they are the best of technology there is out there. Of course, once something else comes out better than mac (which I doubt it) I might be hooked to that as well.

    I am very happy that you are interested in learning more about technology. It seems very hard, but at the end is something very simple and takes little time to get the hang out it. You'll see you be a pro before you know it.

    Good luck this semester in all of your classes :)

    Kirsley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also excited to work on MAC! I am unfamiliar but I know they are the best technology out there :) Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Abby,

    Like you, I also learned how to type on a typewriter...how things have changed! I agree with you that technology is the "language" of the students of today and as future educators we must surround ourselves in all different types of technology. It was fun sitting next to you today. Have a great semester!

    :) Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have had an interesting life Abby. I have only been in Texas one time, and Im not sure what I thought of it. different from life here I guess. I also liked the fact that you responded to the technology part of the mission statement because like you said it is a childs language today because they get used to it faster than older people today. As for computers I got my first computer in my seinor year of highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Abby,

    Thanks for switching chairs with me.....:)

    ReplyDelete